Here is a QUICK 'Getting Started' Check List:
1. Secure mitzvah date with the synagogue.
(If you are not associated with a synagogue check on-line for a Hebrew tutor or consider joining a congregation).
2. Guest lists are needed for size of venue and budgeting ! Consider inviting all of the classmates in your child's class, this is required by some synagogues but a good way to roll!
3. Reserve a Venues - some allow more than one caterer so you can customize your party
4. Event Planner - a party planner can take a lot of your stress away, by providing support throughout the planning process: typically: theme, tables, decor, colors and centerpieces !
5. Photographer - capture the moment - very important - these memories are all you will have and it is very important for your kids to have these pictures to show future generations.
6. DJ and Music - Musical Entertainment is vital to having the guests enjoy themselves! Especially getting the kids up and dancing. They provide the energy to keep the party hopping!
7. PHOTOBOOTHS - add another fun dimension !
8. Food and Beverage - choose a catering company that matches your needs, have fun - go to a tasting, sample the food !
9. Invitation - The invitation will set the mood for the party, many many invitations are available from simple and elegant and glitzy ! (Mailing time is between 8 and 6 weeks prior to event). Many invitation specialists also can assist you in choosing placesettings, napkins, yarmulkes and party favors.
10. Party Favors - Many companies specialize in this and will create LOGOs to go along with the theme. Tshirts, towels, cooler mugs, bags and other goodies available for the kids to take home with them!
11. Wardrobe - Some mitzvah girls change between a conservative dress for the service into a fun and glitzy party dress for the evening ! Boys and girls may want to borrow a family member's prayer shawl (Tallit ) for a special dedication.
12. Book appointments with Hair and Makeup professionals ! Have a practice make-up and hair session.
**** THEME SAMPLES: SPORTS, CARS, MUSIC, BALLET, SKATEBOARDING, BEACH